Friday, March 8, 2013

Iditarod Ceremonial Start

Last Saturday, after celebrating Boo's birthday in the morning, we headed down to Goose Lake Park to watch the teams at the ceremonial start to the Iditarod Dog Sled Race. Once they travel out of town, the vast majority of the trail is in the middle of nowhere so the best chance for  people to see some of the race is at the beginning in Anchorage and at the end in Nome. So, they do a ceremonial start in downtown Anchorage and travel 12 miles through town along green belts and cross country ski trails. I'm fairly certain it doesn't count towards their race time. It was sooo much fun to be on the trail and watch them mush by. So exciting. A tear may have welled up in my eye. :)

We knew we wanted to go, but weren't sure downtown would be the best place for us with the little ones. It would be super crowded and they probably wouldn't get to see anything because of the crowds. We'd have to park so far away from the start and walk, and it would be cold, etc. Meltdown City.  So, a friend of mine suggested Goose Lake Park. She said it was a great place for little ones and she was right! Perfect location and parking was a breeze. We were in and out in no time. The scenery was beautiful. The children had front row seats to a great show.
Family Photo!
Of course, I had to wear my red fox fur headband. It was so warm and kept the wind out of my face. Exactly what it's supposed to do, imagine that.


Kiska and Kobuk enjoyed the race as well.

Lance Mackey. Folks along the trail would pass out food and other sundries to the mushers. Looks like Lance picked up a brew along the way. I think the guy on the back is just there for helping slow the sled in the city limits. There are lots of folks on the trails and the turns are quite tight. It helps add weight and braking power in tight spots. The lady in the front of the sled is an Iditarider. The race auctions off a ride in each musher's sled for the 12 mile push in town. How cool is that?

Arctic Mittens.
The ARMY has similar mittens that they have to wear too. They hang just like that on their backs and they just pull them around when the need them
.


The dogs looked like they were having a blast.

Another Iditarider, and her dog. :)

Last year's winner, Dallas Seavey.

I like how his bootie is flipped out to the side.

What an experience for these two. I hope Boo will be able to remember this. You know, really remember it, not just the because of pictures or stories about the day.

I love these guys!

Last year's runner up, Aily Zirkle. This is a good shot of why the sled/handler is on the back. This is a nearly 90 degree turn and a few sleds busted it coming around the corner. But Aily is holding it tight and her handler is digging in to keep it upright. They succeeded! Whew.
I can't believe I got this great photo.


Lance Mackey's team.
A friend told me that if you yelled, "Bootie, bootie," the mushers might throw you one of their pups booties.
Several mushers tossed booties our way, but Lance was the only one that had candy in his! Thanks Lance!



Up next, pics from the restart in Willow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed these post so much! I get chills and can imagine just how exciting it was to be there! Bootie, bootie,bootie!
Love BeBe

Anonymous said...

This was a great blog. We love all of the pics, especially love the family photo. Must have been very exciting! Love, G & GP