Thursday, August 25, 2011

Our Blustery Seward Adventure

After taking a day off from sight seeing to recover and refresh ourselves, we headed south to Seward. We were in search of salmon and bears and moose! We wanted to see the salmon running up the rivers. The run (as they call it) was pretty much over for the sockeye (red) salmon, but we were determined to find some.  The weather was not good. It was windy and rainy and windy and rainy...but that didn't keep us down. Everyone in AK says you can't let the weather keep you inside. So, we donned our raingear and headed south.

Brrrr!

Duckies!

We just kept pulling off the road to run down to the rivers to see if we could see any salmon.
This was a successful stop!


Can you see the red spot in the water?
That's a salmon!


We see one, too!!
Maggie is confused. She's looking at her socks, not the sockeyes. harharhar!



At this point in the run, they're just kind of rolling around vs. running upstream.
They're just about to spawn.


Puddle jumping!
He loves a puddle!
But, when we got back in the car he wanted to know why his pants where wet.

Well, son, when you jump in puddles...your pants get wet!


The rain won't dampen our smiles today!
We finally saw some salmon.


We stayed overnight at the Army's lodging in Seward. It was really nice.
We had an awesome seafood supper at Ray's restaurant on the harbor.
And thanks to Groupon, we had a nice morning at the SeaLife Center.



This is the transformation that salmon go through as they are preparing to spawn.
Isn't it amazing that their bodies change so much?
I can't get over this.

On our way back to Anchorage, we stopped to check out this hot fishing spot.
The water was too cloudy for us to see the fish.


Are we home yet?

Despite the rain, we really had a great time!

I have one more big adventure to share from BeBe's visit that I'll save for another day.  I'm sad to say that she's leaving tonight to go back to the lower 48. We've had a grand time with her and will miss her dearly. That being said, her departure marks the end of the month which means B-man will be back soon (we can't wait to see him), that preschool will start next week (hallelujer), and lil bit will be another month older. Check back tomorrow for her monthly update.

2 comments:

The Masini Family: said...

I just want to eat Lil Bit up! Too cute! And, do I see some Zulily purchases on the kids?! ;). I laughed when you said the salmon were just 'rolling around' and you were amazed at how much they changed. What about us, as mama's?! I remember just rolling around before I 'spawned' and changing quite a bit too! ;). And, I agree, pre-school can't start soon enough, but I don't know what I'm going to do with myself with just the little lady 3x a week! Looks like you had a great visit with your mom and I amorous of you getting out there on your own in a new place and all of the traveling you're doing. You're putting me to shame! We still haven't even been into the city!! Miss you!

Anonymous said...

I love the pic of Boo jumping in the puddle ... if I was there you'd have had a hard time chasing me out of the puddles also because I'd show him how to make a really big splash. Maggie is as cute as ever! I love her facial expressions.
Yall look great. I'm so glad that you're getting to see all of this. Now you can show me when I return. Good luck to Bebe on her return trip. I hope this one goes better than on the way there.
Love B-Man