Thursday, November 11, 2010

In His Own Words

People have been asking me what Boo thinks about Lil Bit. And I usually tell them that he knows she is in my belly, but that he doesn't really get it. We talk about her room and how you have to be gentle with babies and how Boo is the big brother, etc. But, still...he has no idea that his world is about to change.

Here's a video clip of us discussing our new arrival.

So, I'm not sure he's up for the role of big brother. hmmm.
I think it's so cute though that when we ask if he's a big brother, he says, "No, that's Gary."
Who's Gary?? :) hehehe!


Do you have any tips on how to make the transition easier for him?
We do have a gift for Lil Bit to give Boo at the hospital, but other than that I'm not really sure what to do except to try to give him the one on one time he needs once she arrives. I know that will be easier said than done, especially when I think about not even feeling like I had time to brush my hair after G was born. Any tips are appreciated!

9 comments:

The Masini Family: said...

Ha! I was going to suggest getting him a big brother book, but looks like you have already tried that! ;-) He will do great no matter if he "gets it" yet or not...he will understand soon enough! ;-) I love how he will keep repeating things if you don't understand...MD does that too. It must come out so differently in their heads!

B-Mama said...

Oh Carolina Girl, it is going to be so blessed. If you ever have freak out moments about him feeling pushed aside, etc. remember you are giving him the gift of a sibling, a best friend for life. Think about how much you love your sister--you are giving little Boo that! :) It will be wonderful!

As for easing the transition, you can encourage positive interactions between Boo and Bitsy. Have Bits "watch" Boo play and comment on what she's doing and how she's watching him do xyz. Also, comment to Boo on what she's doing. If she's yawning or crying or eventually smiling, tell Boo about it so he can be involved in her life. Encourage the positive snuggles, re-direct the negative ones (we have a lot of those around here).

Just a few subtle things and you all will totally evolve to being a cohesive unit! It will be awesome! So excited for you...

Anonymous said...

I believe he is letting you know that he is THE "Prince"!
Love.
BeBe

Anonymous said...

You might want to get a baby doll of his own to "practice" feeding and changing so he will know what you will be doing w/ Bitsy. You can demonstrate how he should hold it, burp it, etc.

Aunt P and K

Teacher-Mom said...

Very cute! I think we forget how flexible and resilient kids can be sometimes. I think we can get caught up in the worrying about how everything will be and they end up just keeping on. He will be fine! I promise. You have to remember that you are giving him the greatest gift you could ever give him- a sibling. Try to include him in your daily interactions with Lil Bit and give him the time you can. You guys will be fine, just let things fall into place! Getting excited from the Lou...

Carolina Girl said...

Thanks for the tips everyone! I think you're right, he might just surprise us and do really well. I stressed about taking away his pacifiers and switching him to a big boy bed and he did great during both of those transistions.

Thanks also for reminding me of what a gift it is to have a sibling. I do love my sister so much and I'm glad that Boo and Bit will have each other.

The doll baby idea is great too. I'll try to borrow one from one of the girls in our playgroup.

Rachel said...

I completely agree with B-Mama and Teacher-Mom! What a gift a sibling is!

And just remember ... you will be giving birth to a newborn, not a crazy toddler. She will sleep a ton and life will probably still revolve a lot around Grady. I remember being so worried about adding a new member to the family and it was all for naught. You will love love love having two!

Anonymous said...

All of these tips are wonderful and they make me tear up with joy! Yes, having a baby sister is one of the best things that ever happened to me...I don't remember much about the begining, but you were a gift from God to me and our family, just as Bitsy is to Grady...God doesn't give more than you can handle...He will be just FINE! Love you! Your Big Sis

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

Legare was four when Lorelai came along and my grandmother said, "You must let him help you with the baby so that he will feel like she is his responsibility too." Well...we went through all of the motions so that he thought he was helping to feed and bathe and read...all those good things. The responsibility thing never did click, although she did tell me last weekend that when she visited him in Chapel Hill for the Clemson UNC game a few weeks ago that they went out with some of his friends and "he drove and took good care of me." (I don't EVEN want to know what that was about even though I'm relatively sure it involved going to bars.)