Monday, June 9, 2008

The Shot Heard Round the World!

Those of you with little ones and pap-eye-ers (that's what we call them) or nuks or binkys or the like will know what I mean by the title of this blog...When we put Boo down for his naps or bedtime, he always has his papeyer in tow. We snuggle him, settle him down, make sure the papeyer is in place, leave the room, and then we wait...

...for the "shot heard round the world". It is the moment we hear, over the monitor, that the papeyer has left his mouth! The papeyer drops out on to his mattress or hits the side of the crib with a seemingly LOUD crack and B-man and I hold our breath as we rush to the video monitor to see if our Lil Boo will stay asleep now that the coveted papeyer is awry, or if the shot heard round the world was loud enough to rouse him out of his slumber and send him over the edge!!! If he doesn't move for about 30 seconds or so, we're usually safe and he will sleep for a little while longer. If he immediately starts moving, especially if he tries to get his fingers in his mouth, we're in for multiple trips to his room to get him back to sleep. Does this sound familiar to anyone??


Where did we come up with the "shot heard round the world" line?

One day we were in the car and Boo was "fussy". I reached back to appease him with said papeyer and...it worked. Only to be followed by a quiet "click" sound as it dropped out of his mouth onto the carseat. I looked at B-man and said, "Did you hear his papeyer fall out of his mouth?". B-man replied with... "Of course I did, everybody did...it was the 'shot heard round the world'!! I thought the line to be quite funny and appropriate!

3 comments:

B-Mama said...

Isn't it amazing the things we do as parents, the moments in which we hold our breaths and PRAY for these little ones to comply! Sleep is such an essential part of their little worlds, yet there seem to be so many things working against parents who are trying to get their babies and children to sleep well!

I can just picture you and B-man waiting with bated breath to see G-boo's response. Isn't it absolutely incredible when things work out and he SLEEPS?! Oh the joy!!

Prayers for continued and peaceful "shots heard round the world." Too cute!

AR and J Mama said...

very very cute! my "hold my breath" moment is every night at bed time. i think you know we don't use paci's...we tried! J just pops them back out (so did AR). so i thought that was too much trouble to always be putting them back in every 2-3 seconds (i mean that literally!). anyway, i nurse him that last time, in which J falls asleep. the hold my breath moment is when P picks him up, swaddles him, and takes him to his room to put in the crib. i listen to the monitor very intently and say a little prayer that he will stay asleep, as well as that he will be safe and he will wake up happy and healthy. it's about a 1 minute process, but it feels like an hour!! even though it's not the shot heard round the world, i can totally relate! :)

ps still haven't picked out a double stroller. gggrrrrrrr (that's me sounding frustrated!)

Rachel said...

Okay -- I'm totally laughing at this one, as it was the same with us before Tanner could find his lost pacifier and return it to his mouth unassisted. This is why we put him to bed each night with no less than five pacifiers in his crib!

My cousin gave me a tip for the car in the early days. Get a pacifier clip (the ones you can clip to their shirts). When you put him in the carseat, attach the clip to his strap and you'll be able to reach back and find it his pacifier and put it back in his mouth without looking! It has made my life (and my driving??) so much easier!

Hugs to you and your boys!

p.s. I saw over at Building Cathedrals that you joined a MOM's Club! I'm so glad! I'm sure the girl you met was SO excited to get to sit and talk with you! I'm so jealous of her!