Yesterday, I attended an event called a Sitter Social. "What is that?" you ask. Well, it's kind of like speed dating but instead of looking for a date, it's all about finding a babysitter. We've found that because we live so far away from family and because we don't know that many people in town, it's been hard to get out of the house for a date night.
So, this company in town, Life Made Simple, offers nanny services, babysitting services, housekeeping/organizing services and so on. They also do these sitter social events once/month. They gather babysitters from the area and compile their resumes, photos, availability schedules, and references in a binder for each Mom to have. When you arrive, you get your binder and find a seat. Then, all of the mothers take turns getting up and introducing themselves and tell a little about their families and what their babysitting needs are. After that, you're paired up with a potential sitter and you get to interview them for the next 5 minutes or so. After the 5 minutes is up, the babysitters move on to the next mother until you've met all of the sitters. So, in a matter of 2 hours, I met about 10 potential babysitters!!!!!!
I know what you're thinking...a little scary, huh? Well, I agree and was skeptical at first, but intrigued enough to attend the event at a quarter of the price because of the MOMS group I belong to (thanks again Rachel for suggesting it). I left the event, however, feeling very optimistic about having a date with my husband in the near future. Out of the 10 young ladies, I felt there were about 4 0r 5 that I really felt comfortable with in the interview process. Some just didn't have a lot of "baby" experience and some flat out said they weren't that crazy about dogs. And, if you know us, you know dogs are definitely part of the deal. Which reminds me, some gals even listed pet sitting as a service that they would provide.
As part of the fee that you pay to attend, you can also get a background check on any of the girls that you are interested in having babysit for you. So, I'm currently waiting on that information now. As it turns out, all of the girls that I am interested in are regular babysitters employed through Life Made Simple . This means that they have all been through 2 long application processes, an interview, have had their references checked, are CPR certified, and have had a background check done on them. Apparently, any babysitter can attend the sitter social event as long as the register through Life Made Simple. These girls have not been interviewed, etc. Is this making any sense??? I feel like I'm rambling...
Anyway, I hope this turns out to be a GOOD thing and I though to myself, what a GREAT service this lady is providing and it's something I've never heard of before (maybe because I'm new at this motherhood thing).
Now....How do I get to the point where I'm willing to let someone other than family or friend take care of my little guy??????? That's the million dollar question!
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I think it sounds like an awesome idea and maybe much needed relief for you and your hubby. I can't really comment because I have a hard time leaving my babies with my family for even an hour, but it is getting easier, as it should after three years now! You could always try it for a short date like an ice cream or something and then extend it the following time if all goes well. It would be comforting to have the background check and the recommendation from the company, but just like full time child care, you have to get your own feel for the person and you sort of just know when you meet them. Also, keep in mind that little G will be sleep most of the time if you go out in the evening so there won't be too much to do hopefully. Good luck!
What a great service--wish we had something around here like it! I was just thinking I needed to start scoping out sitters at church... but that's only if our Mimi/Papa babysitter extraordinaires don't come through. Now I'm starting to see the beauty of having family so close. The boys just LOVE their grandparents and vice versa! Hope that you all can end up in such a scenario someday. In the meantime, sounds like you have a wonderful alternative.
I hope this works out! I just can't seem to leave mine with anyone but family (and even that can be a little hard sometimes...you know what I'm talking about). But our relationship (P and mine) suffers b/c of my inability to leave my children with sitters yet. I'm not so crazy with AR, but I could not leave J with anyone right now...probably due to the fact that most of my potential sitters are high school girls from the youth group. I find it so ironic though b/c I think I was babysitting since the 6th or 7th grade! Yikes! What were those parents thinking?? :) Good luck and let me know how it goes!
I love the idea of a sitter social. How else would you find sitters? Good luck. You should definetly go out for a date sometime soon. It will be good for the soul.
You know what I have said all along, it's important that you and B have some special time together. I agree with one of the other comments, that you will develop that feel when you find the right sitter. You and your sister both have a gift of being able to "read" people. Start small, but start! I believe that all parents need time alone to focus on each other. That goes for all your fellow bloggers too!
One thing is for sure, when you hit SC, you will not be at a loss for babysitters. We are all lining up for our chance to be with G. :~)
Love you, BeBe
That is one of the neatest things I've ever heard of! Wow! I wish we had something like that here! We ask our parents to drive here 2.5 hours everytime we need a babysitter for an event or something! Did the women say how much they charge for an hour? I've heard it's $10 - $12/hour here -- YIKES!! Definitely motivation enough for us to indulge in our own "together" time after Tanner goes to bed at night!
Good Luck!
p.s. I got your message and I'll call you soon! :)
Post a Comment