Please excuse me while I vent a little...
Although our Boo is the cutest thing in the whole world (biased comment, I know), I find myself getting very frustrated with his horrible napping practices! He will only sleep for 30 minutes. Then he wakes up all happy and wants to play. We leave him in the crib, knowing that 30 minutes isn't enough sleep for him (not to mention, I can't get much done in 30 minutes). Usually between 20 and 30 minutes later, he starts to get fussy and we go give him his papeyer again. He would normally go back to sleep after that for about an hour. Well, lately he's been fighting that second part of the nap. He just is so fussy but exhausted too. He sleeps for a couple of minutes and then wakes up and cries...ugh. I feel like I've done everything I can short of letting him cry himself to sleep (which I just can't do) to promote good sleep/napping habits, but have yet to see the fruit of our labor. So I ask you...
When is he going to sleep for more than 30 minutes?
When will he bridge those 2 naps together?
When will I be able to start and finish a household chore while he sleeps?
When will our "being consistent" pay off?
When?
When?
When?
Thanks for listening. I feel better now. I know I should be enjoying the moment and not looking forward to "when" this or that happens. And, I do enjoy Boo and this stage of his life, but in terms of napping, I do long for the day it works the way it's "supposed" to . Am I being naive in thinking that it will actually happen? I mean, I know I've heard friends talk about consistent nap times and that their children slept 1-3 hours during these times. Did I imagine it all? Am I kidding myself? I mean, he is over 6 mos old now and we've been doing this dance for a while.
I know I've painted this horrible napping picture for you. But, the truth is, he goes to sleep very well and for that I'm very grateful and do think this is where our being consistent has paid off. We don't have to rock him to sleep and tiptoe out of the room. We read stories, sing him a lullaby on the way to the crib, put him down with his ya-ya and papeyer and he's usually asleep within 5 minutes. And, I'm grateful that he doesn't do this 30 minute thing at night and that he usually only requires some help finding his papeyer when he awakes at night, which is more often that I'd like, but it could be worse.
As you can imagine, I'm writing this as he is swimming in his crib, supposed to be sleeping and it's taken me a lot longer to write because he keeps waking up crying. I even tried to feed him, but he was clearly tired and not hungry. Oh brother!
And then I think, he's the one crying...how does he feel? Does he feel like we're never coming back? That we've banished him to his crib for life?? Boy, mother's guilt is a real emotion, huh?
Please don't get the wrong idea, I just love him to pieces! I just needed to get this off my chest and seek advice. Thanks for listening. Like I said before, I feel better already. Unfortunately, I think I'll be feeling the same way at about 1:30 p.m. when he wakes up this afternoon after sleeping only 30 minutes then...
Wouldn't you know it...he's asleep now! Yay! Yay! Yay!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
I hope things get better for G-boo's naps. I know this is so hard. O didn't nap well, until he started walking. I know you probably don't want to hear you might have to wait that long, but that's what did it for us. Before that I was lucky if he would sleep for 45 minutes. Sometimes I would drive around so he would nap longer. Good luck!
Oh my! There must be something in the air right now, because Tanner is being a TERRIBLE napper lately, too! (and also terrible about going to sleep at night) It looks like we're going to have to start sleep-training AGAIN (this might be the fifth time?) All I can say is that I feel your pain!
As for the crying part ... don't feel TOO guilty! I read somewhere that when they are crying, it's really just because they love you so much and think you're so much fun that they want to be outside playing with you instead of in their crib napping. They aren't really scared or uncomfortable, they just want to be playing with you. Does that ease the pain a little bit?
We are dealing (well I am dealing), with Lauren not sleeping so well at night. she has really started flipping over on her belly at night and she just acts like she can't get comfortable - all i hear is her tossing and turning and it freaks me out so I am up like every 30 min checking on her.
I'm not sure you want to hear this, but we have started letting J sleep on his belly. I know there is still the risk of SIDS, but I think it dramatically decreases at 6 months old. And he is doing it on his own already, so we have been letting him. His naps have increased from 30 minutes to 2-3 hours. He is still getting up in the middle of the night at least once, but I'm just so thankful that he is actually napping. I don't want to promote belly sleeping...talk to your pediatrician, but ours said that once they roll over on their own, you really can't stop it from happening. So we have given in. Not sure this helps! :(
My advise is to forget trying to do a household chore during nap time and take that time to do some relaxing yourself i.e. read, paint your toes, have some tea and just chill! You would be surprised at what 30 minutes can do for you. The household chore will still be there and you will be relaxed :) and ready for Boo's next adventure. Love BeBe
GREAT advice Bebe!!
I think that you might have to suck it up, and let him cry it out a few times. Does he have a mobile? We had one that Kyle could turn on himself, so if he woke up, he would turn it on and go back to sleep looking at the lights, and listening to the music. Or you could try and keep him awake longer, and make sure that he is really exhausted. Maybe then he will nap for longer.
As for the two nap, I think you have a long way to go. Kyle didn't merge the two naps until he was almost two. But now he naps for 2-3 hours during this on nap.
I definitely agree with BeBe. Sounds like she is speaking from experience. All that housework will be there long after G-boo is grown. A quiet moment for yourself is worth much more than a basket of folded clothes or a dusted coffee table.
Hey'ya, l have to make a quick comment on this because Edan is the master of bad sleepers. I do not think there is an easy way there, l love your idea of doing things with him in his bedroom before sleep time, both my sisters did that from birth and their children love their beds. I have done some controlled srying with Edan but l never did it by a clock l went with my instincts and when l felt it was time to go back in l would. My very good friends never did any and their kids NEVER sleep to this day they control their sleeping. About the crying l think one thing to keep in mind in that is their communication and most of the time G is probably just saying Mum l do not like this!! That is the best way he knows how. Also with controlled crying if you keep going in there they know you are coming back and they are not abandoned. I would not do it for a long time either but after a few goes Edan knew the drill and he would still cry but it was not a scared cry more a demand!!.....Anyway Love to all all.x.
Post a Comment