Saturday, August 24, 2013

Fishing

B-man encouraged Boo and I to take a fishing trip. He's so busy with work and studies, it's hard for him to get away for a full day of activity. B-man went fishing our first summer here (although it was really late in the season) and really wanted us to have a chance to go. So, while B-man was in the field, I got a sitter for Bit, and Boo and I set out on a fishing adventure.

It rained and rained the night before our fishing trip and on the drive up to the fishing spot. Rained. Rained. Rained. I kept thinking, what are we doing? Boo is going to be miserable and then I'm going to be miserable. We arrived at our destination and the guide was all get your rain gear and let's go. Ok, so we were really doing this. Boo started to cry when putting on his boots. I swore I would never take him anywhere ever, ever again if he didn't get it together (not my best parenting moment, but it's true). Turns out he wasn't crying about the rain, but b/c his sock was all bunched up in his boot and he couldn't get it on. Cry-worthy? Probably not. But it was easily fixed.

We hopped on the guide's boat and headed up the river.  It was wet and chilly. And Boo didn't complain at all. I couldn't believe it. We arrived at our first spot and got to fishing. A guy that was also fishing with us caught one first and when Boo saw it flapping around in the water, he was outta there! He kept saying, those fish are WILD! So, he would help me cast and reel, but when we got a fish on, he would head to the front of the boat. Lol.

It stopped raining and the sun came out! Yay! We continued to fish and we caught our limit. 2 per/person. We were fishing for silver salmon. The guide was slightly bossy. He was helping one gentleman whose license was going to expire in just a couple of hours and he was barking orders at him to the point where the guy just froze. No matter which way he moved, the guide was hollering something. I thought to myself, oh hell. This is not going to go well.  Just wait until he tries to help us.  I don't even understand the fishing terms he's using.  And from the looks of the guy the guide was "helping", he didn't either. Which actually made me feel a little bit better. We were all novices. Now, I know the guide just wanted us to CATCH FISH. That's his job and that's what he gets paid for, so I just had to let it go and listen and hope to God I could follow his instructions! We started catching fish right away, so I think that took some pressure off of all of us, guide included. In fact, we all caught our limit in 3 hours. Pretty awesome!

The rain came back in on our ride back to the landing. But we were happy as clams because we had our fish! Boo and I caught the biggest ones on the boat.  It was a big adventure and one that I was glad to share with our Boo. I hope it's one that he will always remember.








1 comment:

B-Mama said...

So so cool. Your adventures make me want to move to AK!!!