Monday, June 27, 2011

Talkeetna, AK

This weekend we drove North up to Talkeetna. We had to drive through Wasilla again, so I looked up Sarah Palin's address hoping we could do a drive by viewing of her house. But, when we arrived, we discovered she lives down a gravel road with no trespassing signs up at the entrance. Darn it!
But, we kept driving north and found ourselves in Talkeetna, AK. It's a cute, tiny little town.



I don't know whose boots those are in the bottom of the picture. They were just there in the gravel. These are kind of like the ones that B-man was issued. They have a port on the side of them so that you can pump air in them to keep your feet warm in the winter.


The Roadhouse
Famous little restaurant in Talkeetna.


We had reindeer chili.
Boo had mac n cheese.

It was very good.


The big town of Talkeetna. This is about it, but it was a busy, busy place.


Log cabin getting a new foundation.


A Mountain Man
(this one's for you, Grandpa)






Cool sign on the side of a building.


Planter


Log cabin post office! How neat.


This is where we stayed the night.


This is the view from where we stayed. On a clear day you can see Mckinley.


Coffee house in town. Look at the beautiful flowers.
The only place I've seen colors so bright is in Ireland.


There's the Alaska train again!
We're really going to have to plan a trip to ride along.

Maybe when BeBe comes next month?!


More cool signage.


We had scheduled a flightseeing tour of McKinley with a stop on Ruth Glacier.
But, the mountain was "socked in" with clouds, so we weren't able to go.
We were all very disappointed that it was cancelled. Boo especially had a hard time.
But, we'll try again another day.


Cool plane playground equipment.

Birch trees.
You can get lots of local wooden items made from birch trees.
Granny, you would have LOVED all of the gift shops! :)

What's cuter than cute?
Lowcountry Faye babes in matching moose jammers at our lodge!
SOOOOOOOO Cute!



B-man is back at work today and I'm doing laundry and working on our supper menu for the week...so it's not all sightseeing, ha. He did paint the Jeep, so I need to get pics up of that soon. Have a good week!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait! Great pictures again. I agree with Kat, you and the camera are our eyes! Keep the photos coming.
So what's on the weekly menu at home? Salmon cakes, reindeer stew or giant squash??
Love BeBe

Elso said...

Loving seeing Alaska through the Faye Family! LOVE the moose jammers!

The Masini Family: said...

Y'all are learning so much!! (and teaching me in the process!). I never knew about the air in the boots! Moose jammies are too much and I am jealous of your attire!! Can't wait to be in jeans...never thought I'd say it, but counting down the days until we're Yankees again! ;)

Teacher-Mom said...

Your pictures and adventures never cease to amaze me! How awesome and I'd have to agree that your babes in their matching moose jammies are way too cute!