We wanted to get out and see Alaska this weekend. It was supposed to be pretty mild and sunny out, so we definitely wanted to take advantage of the good weather. We didn't really know what to do though, so we decided to just get in the truck and drive. We had already driven North to Wasilla, so we decided to go South towards Seward. See the maps below. Alaska is HUGE and I'm still getting my bearings, so I added a couple of maps to help you all understand where we are and where we went. We left Anchorage and hopped on Hwy 1 headed South.
![]() |
| This is Hwy 1. Along this part of the drive, it's a coastal highway. The Alaska Railroad tracks run right along the coast as well. The water you see here is the Turnagain Arm of Cook Inlet. The mountains ahead are on the Kenai Peninsula. |
![]() |
| We stopped at Portage Lake. Portage glacier is up around the bend from this first mountain. You can see Burns glacier straight ahead in this picture. It's called a hanging glacier. It was amazing!!! |
![]() |
| These icebergs had broken off and were floating down the river. |
![]() |
| The water was COLD! |
![]() |
| We want to go back and take the cruise right up to the glacier. |
![]() |
Go back up and look at the family photo and pay attention to the ice in the water.
The pic of this berg was taken before that one.
We got to see it break apart (as seen in the family pic).
It was VERY loud when it first started breaking apart.
We didn't get that on video, but we started filming and got it rocking and rolling. |
![]() |
| Beautiful views! |
![]() |
| Cool boat with teeth! Ice teeth? |
We left the Portage Glacier area and continued the drive towards Seward through the Chugach National Forest. It's also amazing!
We finally made it to Seward, a small fishing town. It was packed with fishermen and campers.
We saw several Bald Eagles on the drive and B-man got a couple of goods pics of this one below.
![]() |
| Fisherman at Resurrection Bay |
![]() |
This is on the way back to Anchorage looking across Cook Inlet.
Do you see the mountains way off in the distance? |
![]() |
| Dall Sheep on the way back to Anchorage. |
![]() |
| There were a bunch of cars stopped on the side of the road taking pics. |
![]() |
Alaska Railroad Train!
This was Boo's highlight of the day.
Oh yeah, this is at 10:00 at night. The pics of the sheep were also taken at 10:00 p.m.
It was a LONG day, but a great day of sightseeing! And thankfully, we all slept in today!
I want to say Happy Father's Day to all of the Dads out there and especially to the ones near and dear to us...B-man, PawPaw, Grandpa and Uncle A! You all are so special to us and I'm so glad to have you in our kiddos lives. |
9 comments:
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! So happy to see the great pictures of Alaska and the family. I am really jealous of seeing ya'll in fleece and at 5:30 a.m. here, it's already 77 : ( I know it was a wonderful outing for all of you.
Love BeBe
Been on vacation for a few and just catching up. My goodness...here I sit in Pinopolis and it's something like 110 with the heat index. Those mountain, snow, and glacier photos are making me smile so much!
Those pictures are AMAZING! I can't believe how breath-taking the land is where you are. A bit different from TX, huh! Truly an experience to remember!
WOW!! That is all I can say!! Take advantage of all this, it is amazing!! So happy for you!
oh my gosh. oh my gosh. oh my gosh. I wish I was transported there right now! Now that CakesAzucar will be a legal bakery, I definitely want to start saving up to see this majesty! Great pics, my friend.
I have not been on your blog for to long, but your pics are magnificent!! It must be quite an experience, blog it looking very good to!! No wonder my sister, brother and his partner love Alaska so much. Ben and his girlfriend travelled the world for two years and for them Alaska was their favourite place. Just breath taking. Hope you are enjoying your time there. Must get to bed now but will get back on and have a better read of your adnvetures. Seeing all your pics makes me miss you guys.
Sending lots of love from Felicity and Edan.xxxxxxx.
Sorry, adventures...bit of bad English as well (I seem to be good at that lately, to tired must get to bed)!!
Enjoy this special time!!
What an amazing opportunity to spend some time in such a beautiful part of the country! Your pictures are just breath-taking! Alaska has moved up toward the top of the list of places I want to visit!! Hope everything is going smoothly with adjusting to your new home!
Amy
Amazing pictures!! What great adventures you are going to have up there and MEMORIES! I'm adding you to my blog list if you don't mind so I don't miss anymore cool posts!
Post a Comment