Thursday, July 2, 2009

Trains and Tudes

Alternately titled, There's good news and there's bad news.

Let's start with the good news!

A few weeks ago, our neighborhood was having a neighborhood wide yard sale. So, Boo and I headed out for our walk to check out all of the goods. We got a couple of deals on a few little toys and then when we walked back by our neighbor's house, there it was...an activity/train table. She was selling the table and all of the trains and tracks for $40! I looked it over and said, "I'll take it". So, Brian lugged it up the stairs to our loft/playroom. Boo has really enjoyed playing at the table. It's been perfect. We put the trains in the closet, because he just seemed too small right now to really be able to "play trains" (and let's be honest, I was also afraid the wheels might come off and he might put them in his mouth and then choke...see I told you I have a lot of fear issues). Anyway, the other day I heard him fiddling around in the closet upstairs, and came across this...


He LOVES those trains! And, he loves to go in the closet to play with them. The tracks are still put away, but in the meantime, he is having a blast, ushering in the train era!

Now, for the bad news.

It seems Boo has developed a little attitude recently. You know, the kind where he doesn't want to put his clothes in the hamper and get ready for bath time and especially not nap time. Remember how excited he was to put his clothes away just a couple of weeks ago? Now, he'd rather Stop! Drop! and Roll! He also does the infamous, "I have no bones, or muscles" routine and just hollers like a limp noodle on the floor! He even did this...at a neighbor's house!!!! Oh, the horror of it all!! :) Our usual reaction is to just ignore this behavior. We were hoping he would see that it didn't get him anything and he would stop. But, that doesn't seem to be working. And if he goes limp, we just pick him up and take him to the bath or wherever we were intending for him to walk originally. So, I don't think he ever really gets his way in these situations. We still take a bath and put him to bed for naps, etc. It's just not going the way we would like it to go.

So, I'm soliciting all advice on the issue. What do you do when they roll around like that? And what do you do when they don't do what you tell them? Like, put your clothes in the hamper...etc.

7 comments:

Elena said...

We use a naughty chair. If Kyle is misbehaving and ignoring him doesn't work, we tell him to stop or to go to the naughty chair. He hates the naughty chair. This usually straightens him out pretty quickly. I am just not sure if Boo is old enough to use a naughty chair/spot yet. Good luck.

Teacher-Mom said...

It sounds like he might be ready for time out. I know he seems young, but he really isn't and the rule of thumb is usually one minute for each year of age. Max has actually recently had two because he is really into throwing things, especially his food and we definitely want to put a stop to it. He cried the entire time and I couldn't help but laugh, which seems cruel, but he was sooo pathetic and it was sort of cute. If you do a time out, make sure you pick the same spot and tell him why he is in time out. Even though he may not seem like he is getting it, he is hearing you and the big key is CONSISTENCY, so if you start something like this now, it will pay off in the end. Kids need to know what to expect at all times. It is important to choose a consequence that works for you and stick with it. On another more fun note- love the pics of the trains!! Max and Joey would love to join right in. Max is big into trains and cars right now. And, just to ease your worries a bit, we have never lost a Thomas train wheel to the stomach, so you should be safe. Your little boy is growing up!

Sweet Lowcountry said...

Ok... I decided to comment on this one since I'm an expert. When RDH throws a tantrum by rolling on the floor and screaming bloody murder I just lock him in the closet for a few hours. Dark, closed spaces seem to calm most people down, right? Just kidding! I wish I could help you out on this one... Time out might be a good trick to try.

DNR HOME PROJECT said...

I have no advice, becuase I know that you are not talking about MY nephew throwing a tantrum. Maybe you should ask BeBe how she used to handle you when you had them? I think he gets it honest:)
Love Aunt R

Paula Faye said...

I have a whole set of trains just like the ones you just bought...here at the house. They can be your "SC set." :)

About the noodle body, well I would say to just pick him up and carry him where you want him to be -- bath, nap, whatever. Regardless of how he acts he still has to do what he doesn't want to do.

Aunt P

Granny said...

It is quite simple.... He has a case of "I don't wanna and I ain't gonna"!!

He may well need a time out chair if ignoring him doesn't help. I think that he is getting ready for the terrible twos. Edan started his terribles at about 18 months. Granny

Carolina Girl said...

Thanks for all of the comments. Sounds like we were on the right track. We have been doing a time out for things like throwing and opening cabinets that he's not supposed to, etc. But, it hadn't occurred to me to do it for the rolling on the floor bit. We tried it today, and it worked pretty well.

Aunt R, he probably does get it from me!! hmm, payback.