Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Cypress Campground

Where do I begin? Cypress Campground is a special place to many people in our community in South Carolina. There are just over 50 (I can never remember the exact number) wooden tents assembled in a circle fashion with a large open air tabernacle in the middle. Our home church, Cypress UMC, is also located on the property. Each October, the families who own tents, live there for a week of worship and fellowship. There is no electricity and the only running water comes from a few spigots located in various locations on the campground. It truly is a rustic experience, outhouse and all! The tents have been passed down within the families from generations before. I believe the Campground has been in operation since sometime in the 1700's as a meeting place for worship along the circuit rider's route. I believe Francis Asbury was a prominent circuit rider to this campground. The worship services are very much like a revival. There are 3 services a day under the open air tabernacle, with the evening service being most heavily attended.

The fellowship is just awesome, with families visiting with other families, kids running and playing, you can always watch a pickup football game, and the food is outstanding! It's like having a big Thanksgiving supper every night. All of the meals are cooked on a wood burning stove. It truly is just a special time of the year. Our family does not own a tent, but our friends and neighbors have made us feel like we are in fact part of their families. We are always invited for a great time. I have been attending almost every year since our family moved to Lebanon (our community name) 21 years ago! I have not attended the last couple of years and I'm always saddened that I'm missing out on Campmeeting when that week rolls around in late October! I often call my friends and my Mom while they're there just to see what's happening.

I write all of this because early Tuesday morning there was a fire at the Campground. Five tents were destroyed, including the tent of the Hilton family, who are great friends of ours. Fire has ripped through the campground before, but it is always difficult because there is so much history and tradition wrapped up in this sacred place. Although I'm not there right now, I know what's happening back home...the community is coming together as they always do when something tragic happens, helping each other pick up the pieces and are planning to rebuild. Nothing can keep them down. That's another great thing about living in a small community...it's one big family (and in the case of Lebanon, it's really true...so many people are in fact related!). I have been truly blessed to grow up there.

Please keep these families in your prayers as they set to cleanup and rebuild.

The following photos come from the Post and Courier's website.

Mrs. Hill surveying some of the damage

Some of the tents untouched by the fire.

A family posing in front of the old Cypress UMC church a long, long time ago!

6 comments:

AR and J Mama said...

When I heard the story on the news, I thought about you and your family! I know how much it means to you. You're community is certainly in our prayers, and I know they will rebuild and it will be a wonderful place of worship again, hopefully just in time for October!!

On a personal note, it was so great to talk to you the other night. Not just because we are going through newborns together, but b/c you are such a good friend and I miss my good friends!!!

Also, J stopped sleeping 6-7 hours at night and went back to being up every 3 hours for the past couple of nights. UGH! I thought we had turned the corner. :(

Carolina Girl said...

AR & J's mama...G stopped sleeping as well as he had been too. He's up every 4-5 now. But the crying during the day is a little better. B-man said, maybe he's turning a corner...too bad it's a 20 sided polygon we're dealing with! ha!

Anonymous said...

You did a wonderful job describing the campground and Campmeeting. Just to let you know,the folks that have one of the tents that was scorched real bad, have already begun the repair to it. I know they will be ready again by late October. Love you, BeBe

Elso said...

The campground sounds like such a special place. I will keep all of you in my prayers.

B-Mama said...

Such sad news... I will pray for a quick turnaround in prep. for a wonderful October meeting!!

Anonymous said...

I haven't been here in a while so I hope everything is going well for the three of you. That was a great description of Campmeeting. I could have never painted so perfect a mental picture for people who may not know about it. When I describe Campmeeting the first response is usually, "Is it a cult or something?" Anyway, it's good to see the blog has its finger on the pulse of Lebanon. I feel really bad for RH and all the H's.(As well as all the other tent owners), but like you said, every one will pull together. See you later, MPH