It's official! I'm allergic to dust, weeds, trees, grass, and (sniff sniff) dogs.
For years now, I've struggled every spring and fall with "seasonal allergies". I think it started when I was in college. When I would come back to the Lowcountry on breaks from school, I started having allergic reactions. By far my worst symptom is ITCHY eyes! I mean, like you'd feel better if you could literally scratch your eyeballs out of your head. That itchy. I also have the sneezing, runny nose, cough, etc that go with the territory. I've tried numerous medications over the years, but nothing REALLY worked. So, finally my doctor recommended that I see an allergy specialist. I went for my skin testing this week and well, the proof is in the pictures! Allergic?? I think yes!!! I spared you the photo of my back, but it looked like my arm below. It didn't hurt...it just ITCHED LIKE CRAZY! And I wasn't allowed to scratch!

I'm an excellent candidate for allergy shots! BUT...because I'm only in this region for a few more months, it doesn't make sense to start them because it can take 6-12 months to regulate the injections. Bummer. I was really looking forward to the shots. Seriously. So, we've changed my medications a little and I'm hopeful that the next big season (midsummer weeds per the doc) will be much more bearable.
And the best feeling comes from knowing that I really do have these allergies; not because I want allergies. I certainly do NOT want them. But because it validates what I've been feeling for all of these years.
And the best feeling comes from knowing that I really do have these allergies; not because I want allergies. I certainly do NOT want them. But because it validates what I've been feeling for all of these years.


5 comments:
I know how much your allergies bother you, but I know what you mean ... it's nice to have validation! I hope the meds work for you. Love, B-Man
Oh yuck! I bet that was no fun...what an itchy mess. I hope the meds start working.
Allyson
Wow! You and Joey can share each other's pain. That's what he looked like after his allergy testing too. What did they put you on? I wish you could do shots because they've been lifesavers for Joe. He still had a rough spring and had to increase his medicine, but I think it would have been worse. Now at least you know!
So my big question--what you are going to do about the dog diagnosis?! Hopefully with meds and eventual shots, you can curb the discomfort enough to have the pups around. I know how special they are to you!! What sweet ones they are! Glad you got some answers. xox
I figured you'd have a bunch, but not dogs! :-( I feel your pain.
Post a Comment