Thursday, September 22, 2011

C-17 Jump

Holy cow, it's taken forever to get this post up for y'all! I think it's worth the wait, though. The guy behind B-man in the plane last week had a camera on his chest. So, he recorded from inside the plane! The trouble with posting it was the format and length of the video. After multiple attempts to convert and edit the video without success, I finally decided to just play the video on my computer and then use my camera to record it off the screen. I then edited it and spliced it together so you're not watching 5 minutes of them just standing there on the plane waiting to get to the DZ.  And that's finally how I got it to work. Whew! So, please, please watch and please, please comment! haha! Just kidding...not really. Please comment! :)


The kids and I went out to the drop zone, but B-man's flight jumped earlier than expected, so the video that I took is most likely of another group of paratroopers.

A guy behind B-man jumped into his parachute risers, causing an entanglement (they were stuck together and the guy above couldn't get out of B-man's chute). In this situation, the guy up top tried to work his way out, but he wasn't able to free himself. B-man monitored their rate of descent compared to the other guys around them and decided that they weren't falling too fast. They were just slightly faster than those around them, so they decided to ride it out instead of cutting their main chutes and deploying their reserves. B said he was pretty calm throughout but the guy that had entangled with him was kind of freaking out and kept saying, "I'm sorry, sir... I'm, sorry sir..." B-man tried to calm him down and assure him that they were going to be okay. Right before they landed B-man said, "Just try not to land on me..." and then they braced for their landing. And, they were both just fine! Whew!!!! This mama, and I know B-man's mama does not like to hear about entanglements. I'm so glad both B-man and the 'other guy' were safe. This is the second time that someone jumped into B-man's chute. The first time was at Airborne School. Yikes!!!


The C-17 is a beast of a plane!
Huge!!

Do you see the door open and the guy starting his jump?

There they go!

There were so many of them!

After the jump.
They've packed up their chutes on their backs and they're holding on to their reserves in front of them.

The guy in the far left of this picture is the guy who got tangled up with B-man.

The long awaited video!
It's pretty awesome.
Viewing TIP: Click play and once the video starts playing, click in the main body of the video. It will take you to the private youtube where the video is stored. Once there, click on the four arrows in the bottom right corner to see the video in full screen.
Things to look/listen for in the video above:
-the guy you see is B-man
-hooking up the static line
-equipment check (the guy with the camera will check B-man's static line and give the 'all good')
-B-man says hello
-countdown (1 minute, 30 sec, standby...)
-THE JUMP!!
After B-man goes out the door, you can't see him anymore. He's entangled to the left of the view of the camera.

 


This is the video I took from the ground of another group.
B-man had already landed.

We're so happy that we've been able to go out to the DZ to watch B-man's jumps! It's quite exciting!
I hope you enjoyed the videos.

2 comments:

The Masini Family: said...

WOW! I love that you can be there for these jumps, and how awesome for Boo! I don't blame you for not liking "entanglements!" Must be B-Man's magnetic personality! ;-) My B almost had the opportunity to deploy early for a mission that needed someone Airborne qualified because they MAY have needed to jump into country. UGH! Needless to say, I wasn't excited about it (except it may have been less than 90 days!) but he wanted it. Luckily/unfortunately, someone else was quicker on the draw, so B is 2nd in line for it. But, now we are getting back used to the idea of a Jan. deployment (got pushed back a month, Praise God!) Now, he'll be home for the holidays and CAM's b-day.

Anonymous said...

Watched the videos while in the mts. It is awesome! This is the closest I will ever get to or want to, to an actual jump. Happy there are men like B-Man who like to do this type of thing. Good job B-Man.
Love BeBe