Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Cross Country

I woke up on Monday morning and was grumpy. I was hoping the little ones would sleep in for once in their lives. Ha! I know better though. They don't sleep in. Even when the time changes. So, I was kind of grumpy and when B-man woke up he gently suggested that I grab my skis and hit the trail. There was fresh snow on the ground (perhaps our last good snow of the season) and he was home for the day.  It sounded perfect to me. I've only been skiing with friends, but the thought of being alone was awesome! Until I got there!
I was so scared on the trails by myself. The bears are starting to wake up (per the local news) and I couldn't stop looking for them. I was constantly scanning for signs of bear activity and for moose. We have seen moose on the trails before. I kept thinking of my bear survival tips. The first thing they say to do is make a lot of noise, so you don't sneak up on the wildlife. Well, I was by myself barely making a sound as I skied along. So, I decided to sing out loud. My song choice? This Is the Day That the Lord Has Made. Surely God wouldn't let me encounter a bear as I was praising His beautiful day. Right? But, I felt so silly singing out loud like that, so I pulled out my phone and put it in my breast pocket and played the workout playlist on my phone through the speakers, not my ear buds. This way, I felt certain the bears would think I was skiing with JayZ, JT, Pink, Adele, and Adam Levine, and would steer clear of us on the trail. That's a pretty tough crew to encounter, even for a bear. Lol. And the crazy thing...I really felt much better with the music playing. Don't worry, I still kept an eye out and didn't have the music too loud. I could still hear what was going on around me. It was much more enjoyable with my music crew! I stopped to take a few pics on my phone along the way.


Beautiful trails.
Freshly groomed; I was the first one out there.


The trails on post are at the golf course.
They transform the course into cross country skiing during the winter.

Water!

Me.

IDITAROD UPDATE!
The leaders will make it to Nome sometime in the middle of the night tonight.
It's close!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous !
Love, BeBe