Monday, October 15, 2012

Portage Glacier

We'll be backtracking here on posts this week. I'm finally getting around to going through pictures and uploading them to the blog from when BeBe was here for our return to AK.  It rained A LOT while she was here. So when we had nice days, we tried to get away for a bit.  One such day, we took a drive south to Portage Glacier.



We saw a pod of beluga whales swimming in the Turnagain Arm of Cook Inlet on the way down there.
That was really cool!
.

Boo and Bit on the glacier cruise. Bit did NOT sleep on the way there like BeBe and I planned. We paid for it too. Other than this pic where she's smiling, she was grumpy. Lol.


Portage Glacier behind us.

I love the glaciers!


Boo got to help some other children pull up a can of icy cold glacier water for the passengers to feel.

They had a fish tank on board with a piece of the glacial ice in it. It was to demontsrate that only 10% of the icebergs are above water. Pretty cool demo. I have no idea why the owl is in there too. Bebe, do you know?


It was a fun outing and a much needed break from unpacking. We really needed the day out in the sunshine.
Up next will be our afternoon at the Alaska State Fair.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos! Thanks for the post. I like glaciers too. When Uncle S. and I went on the Inner Passage cruise, we got up close to glaciers in Glacier Bay. Close enough to hear the growlers!! I think they are cool (excuse the pun)!! Love to All, Aunt L.

B-Mama said...

Looks like it was a fun cruise! Don't worry--Bit looks like she was happy the whole time--we wouldn't have known otherwise! :) We know how non-napping toddlers go. They are rough and then some! :) You all are such troopers. xox

Anonymous said...

PawPaw said owls help keep sea gulls away? : )