Thursday, August 4, 2011

The High One

Whew! I think it all caught up with us. All the traveling and sight seeing, that is. It seems we've been pretty sluggish since B-man left. I've been trying to update the blog, but have found myself lounging on the couch after putting the kids to bed at night. But, I'm feeling renewed now that Lil Bit is SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT (knock on wood)!! Hallelujer!

So, we made it up to Talkeetna to do the flight seeing tour. I just kept checking the webcam of Denali and the weather and it looked like we were going to have a clear day, so I called and made reservations. It wasn't really the best time in the world, but we wanted to get it in while we could. So, the movers came on Thursday and we dropped everything and drove up to Talkeetna on Friday. ha!


Our flight wasn't until 5 p.m. so we took our time getting up there and enjoyed the tiny town before we checked in for our flight.

Mt McKinley
AKA Denali

 AKA "The High One"
AKA  The highest peak in North America!
Elevation is 20,320 ft!


Pikes Peak has nothing on this one!


Resident Mountain Man in Talkeetna! With his ale from the lowing brew house.
Remember him from our last Talkeetna post?


Dog sled photo op.


There's the Alaska train, again!


Happy Bit!


Happy Boo!


Pre-flight warm up!


Boo Bear!
Boo did really well on the way out. But, got sick on the way back.
I must say, I was on it! He started getting whiny and I was thinking, "what's up with this??"
And then I thought...Oooh! I bet he's going to get sick! So, I quickly fumbled for the air sickness bag and put it in front of him. He immediately tossed his cookies, but IN THE BAG!! Not a drop got on him or the plane! It might be my proudest parenting moment to date! I rocked it! hahaha! And, he was totally fine after that one toss.


Bit fell asleep before we took off!
This is not her new carseat...just a loaner from the airport.


Beautiful views!!
The clouds did roll in, so we didn't get a good view of McKinley from the plane. But, it was still awesome and we had already seen McKinley earlier in the day as shown in the previous pics.












We took a TON of pics, so this is just a sampling.
This pic is taken from the plane and these look like little puddles, but they are more like ponds, on the glacier.




Landing on the glacier.
Umm...mountain ahead! :)


Standing on Eldridge Glacier


She's awake!!


Skis and wheels!


Boo had a blast!


And got to go up and touch the wheel.


Bit squealed and played with her socks on the way back to the airport.


Afterwards, we ate supper at this place. The food was soooo good!
B-man took this video of another plane landing while we were on the glacier.
It was a busy place!



Flightseeing!
Boo went out to dance with some little girls at the pizza place.
They're not in this video, but this was the cutest video of him dancing.


It was a great day!!! Something I'll cherish forever. I feel like I'm forgetting something I wanted to say. Hmmm...If I think of it, I'll add it later.



In other news: Lil Bit has another tooth and Lil Boo is officially signed up for preschool on post. B-man is doing well in LA. They've been doing a lot of language training this past week. The inside of the house is unpacked and I haven't even touched the garage! haha! I did cut the grass though. I don't think we'll be winning yard of the month anytime soon. ha! It's been a LONG time since Mama's had to cut the grass.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I wanna go. I wanna go. I wanna go. Sally, the only thing cooler than these spectacular views is your rad photography skills. I miss you AND those skills, terribly. Eat some mountain pie for me!

W Rogers said...

Looks like you guys had a blast! It's so nice to have experienced that so I know exactly where you were. :) ready to go back. Great photos by the way.

Teacher-Mom said...

Your pictures are A-mazing!! I simply can't believe how beautiful it is there. I'm so glad that you got to go before B-man left. Way to go with the throw up bag, that's quick thinking. Good luck with Yard of the Month, not everyone is quite up to earning that ya know. It really takes someone quite special and with just the right touch, and maybe some kind neighbor to help you out. Ha Ha!

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!
I am so glad you are creating such wonderful memories!
Love ya! Robin