Back in March when B-man was working on getting his next assignment, the position here in Alaska came up but it was initially offered as a TDY (temporary duty) assignment. He would go to Alaska for 6 months (without family) and then deploy for a year (of course, without family) and then come back to Texas and we would move from there. Well, you can imagine that just wasn't sitting well with us. We didn't want to be apart for a year long deployment (this is our first deployment as parents and it's going to be a million times harder because of that) and we certainly didn't want to add 6 months to that while he trained in AK prior to the deployment. I can do a lot of things as an Army wife, but 18 months apart just might be too much for me to handle. So, he called branch and asked if there was any way we could come with him to Alaska and they said yes, if you PCS (permanent change of station) there and stay on in Alaska after the deployment.
So, we said YES! And why would we put ourselves through this crazy moving process of taking some things to SC, moving to AK for 6 months, putting our stuff in storage at the end of 6 months so that the children and I can be with our family in SC while B-man's gone?
So, we said YES! And why would we put ourselves through this crazy moving process of taking some things to SC, moving to AK for 6 months, putting our stuff in storage at the end of 6 months so that the children and I can be with our family in SC while B-man's gone?
It's not because of the glaciers, or moose, or bears, or fishing stories. It's not because we want to drive by the Palin's house. It's not because we love below freezing temps and 6 hours of daylight in the winter months. It's so that when B-man is gone for a year, thinking of us in the United States and we are here in the US longing for him to be home with us, we can think back on moments like these. These are the moments that get us through everything!

6 comments:
: )
Giggles make me laugh!
Love BeBe
Oh my goodness, they are so precious! And so is that great daddy too! xoxo I'm so happy you made the decision you did bc it allows me to live vicariously through you in AK!!! :)
You made the right decision! Family first! B just had a 'boss' tell him that the Army is a career but your family is your legacy and it just puts it all in perspective, especially after our last 6 years! When Ft. Polk was a option for a eat for us, I asked friends who have done separation tours (is that what they're called?!) and all have said they would never do them again and in hindsight wouldn't have done them to begin with!! The Army can take our Daddies away for reasons beyond our control at any time so you should never choose to be separated if you can help it. The next duty station is never guaranteed so anything together is a must! Good choice, Mama!
Tear...! Very well put and good decision to move to AK. What an experience for all of you and you can never replace precious time spent with the ones you love.
Agree! 18 months was a long deployement for us. Neither Jared nor Ray even knew each other when he came back. So sad.
The best part is I may have saved up enough money to come visit you when you move BACK to Alaska!
I don't know how I missed this one! I have played it over and over again! I LOVE IT!!!!! Those cute tickle laughs:) Aunt R
Post a Comment