Tuesday, July 5, 2011

4th of July Weekend!

Well, in the begining of June we were on the sandy beaches of SC and now, the begining of July finds us in cool Alaska. Ain't that somethin'?

B-man had a four day weekend to celebrate the 4th. This is what we've been busy doing this weekend...


On Friday, we went to the movies to see Cars2!
It was a first for both Boo and Bit.

Boo was sooo excited, and a little scared at first.
Bit stayed awake the whole time and other than a 5-10 minute walk around with B-man when she was fussy, seemed to be watching the show also.

On Saturday, we did some driving on post to find some lakes and camping sites.
We came across this drop zone!
B-man is in an Airborne unit here in Alaska and will be jumping out of airplanes!!
I really hope we get to go watch!

Add Beaver to the list of animals we've seen in Alaska.

On Sunday, we went up to Palmer to a reindeer farm.
We brought Boo's boots with us! hehehe

Feeding the elk at the reindeer farm.

These are Rocky Mountain Elk and were bigger than I expected.

Feeding the reindeer. They were shorter than I expected.
A caribou is a wild reindeer...just FYI.

Guess how old this reindeer was?

They had a couple of moose there too.

Feeding Kenai, the moose.
He was very excited to see the moose and wanted to feed him, but couldn't go through with it.


We kept driving North and ended up at the Matanuska Glacier!
It's about 25 miles long.


I think it was the most amazing natural thing I've ever seen.

It was windy on the glacier!

We walked through this moraine field to get to the real ice. But, really, this was all rock covered ice too.
I felt like this must be what it looks like on the moon.
Moraine is the stuff (rocks, etc) that the glacier pushes down the mountain.


We had a nice weekend together! We really do live in a wonderful and beautiful country! We've enjoyed it all from the beaches and oak trees of South Carolina, to the mountains of Colorado, to the hills of Arkansas and the Hill Country of Texas, and now here we are in awesome Alaska. Wow!

Thanks to all of our Armed Service Members who choose to serve our country by protecting our freedom! Especially to our family members who have served and who continue to serve.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You have really seen it all! You are very lucky to get these experiences! Looks chilly there... wish I were there...it's hot here! I recognize Bits hat... Cute!
P.S. Thanks for the caribou tidbit... It was a question on cash cab! No one has to know I read your blog before I saw that episode!
Love you!
Aunt R

Anonymous said...

So happy that you are still sending pics of ya'll and the Alaskan countryside. Also, glad that Boo has his rubber boots.
Love, BeBE

Melanie said...

I had so much fun catching up on your blog!! The pictures are amazing, and it's sooooo beautiful!! Lil Bit is getting so big, and you all look wonderful! We sure miss you here, but what great adventures you're having! Much love,
Mel

Unknown said...

That is the coolest thing ever! I love that y'all are wearing cool weather attire, also. I can't even express how hot it is here.