Wednesday, October 7, 2009

That Mom

Today our sweet boy turned into a little monster right before my eyes!

It all started at toddler story time at the library. Boo, is usually pretty shy and stays away from the crowd. Well, today...notsomuch. He was running circles around the librarian as she read the stories. He would run a circle around her and come plop in my lap, get up, run a circle around her, and then plop in my lap. He did this over and over again and was quite pleased with himself at the new game he had invented. If he wasn't running circles, he was trying to escape out of the story time room altogether. He had me on the go for sure.

After story time, we always play in the area of the library where they have puzzles and big Lego blocks. Boo was everywhere!! Throwing Legos and flicking them off the Lego table sending them flying across the table into the faces of other toddlers. I even saw him pulling on a little boy's shirt saying, "no, no, no" because Boo wanted to play with the puzzle he had! On the one hand I couldn't believe how bold he was being. On the other, I was thinking (while he was in timeout for throwing Legos) what happened to my sweet, shy guy? I've been wanting him to mature socially and get more involved, but this morning I kept telling myself, "be careful what you wish for..."

And then there was this afternoon. Boo and I were at the bookstore and it was not good. I brought the stroller with us so that he would be confined while I looked for my book. As soon as I let him out of the stroller in the children's section, he went nuts! He wanted to push the stroller everywhere, which was just not good in the bookstore. He had a FIT when I took it away from him. I finally was able to pull it away from him and I snuck off to hide it while he rolled on the floor. When I returned, there he was about to push on the emergency exit door. You know, the door that says, "alarm will sound if door is opened". I felt like things were moving in slow motion as I ran towards him shouting, "NO, DON'T TOUCH!!!!" in that slow motion-y kind of voice. Luckily,I made it just in time. As I was putting my heart back in my chest, he proceeded down the aisles, pulling books off the shelf at random. I was huffing and puffing trying to repair his path of destruction. And THEN, he was climbing up the shelves!!!! I would pull him down, only to have him start climbing again. I kept thinking, who is this little terror?

By that time, I had had enough!!! I literally wrestled him into the stroller with him screaming at the top of his lungs and me trying not to laugh at the whole scene. We checked out and left ASAP.

So, you know when you see that child running through a store like he has no upbringing whatsoever...and you see the haggard mom trailing behind and you think to yourself..."what kind of mother is she? That one year old is running all over her". I know you've seen her. She's the one we all swore we would never become before we had children.

Well, today my son was that child and I was that mom.

Thank goodness tomorrow is another day.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Ohh S I feel for you. Hang in there it gets better.

B-Mama said...

Oh no, poor girl! Sounds like he gave you a run for your money--pushing the limits and seeing how far he could go with them! Ahh--the glory of 18mos+!!! :) You are doing a great job with him and know that not many moms would have made it out of the store without erupting on the child!! You were smart to hightail it out of there before things got worse... :) lol.

And just know you are getting closer to reaching the magic age of 2 when you can really begin enforcing a system of rules and consequences. Get excited, it's coming!!

It's so great you have this on record now because you WILL look back and laugh about this and see how much better things are down the road. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Oh my! What a day and to think that you had just posted in the previous blog about how good he was for the 10+ hour drive. He just had alot of pent up energy. He is fast approaching the Terrible Two's.
Thanks for providing me with my morning laugh.
Love you,
BeBe

Julie said...

Oh my...what craziness! Maybe it was a one time thing? You can hope...! I will be praying for and the impending terrible twos. Maybe he's just getting that over with early? :)

The Masini Family: said...

My mantra, "this too shall pass!" :-) Trust me, it does get better and you are doing a fabulous job! I have heard that every 6 months kids "change" and I have witnessed it with JR. So, this may be the start of a rough 6 months, but in few months, it will be amazing how he grows and changes (for the better!). It is all a learning process. Hang in there...there is a long road ahead! :-) p.s. I didn't think he was that awful at storytime! ;-) So, even though you may feel like "that" mom, it doesn't always come across that way to others!

Rachel said...

Okay, I can't help but smile. I felt like your story was about my own kids! I totally know what you feel like. And ... I was definitely the person before kids who always said, "my kids will NEVER act that way. Those people need to learn how to parent!" HA!! Now I just look at people when Tanner is mis-behaving and can see the wheels turning in their heads, knowing they're thinking the same thing.

Actually, I saw a woman at the library the other day with three little ones. As I stood in line with my own (Tanner actually WASN'T thrown over my shoulder crying this time, which was awesome) I looked over at her and said ... "You make having three look so easy!" She looked at me and laughed. "We were here yesterday and had to leave. This is our second try."

Just know you're in good company ...

Teacher-Mom said...

Don't worry, we've all been there before!! I actually think the two's aren't quite as bad because they understand a little more about actions and consequences. Just keep trudging along and it will get better.