Friday, September 18, 2009

A Hitter Among Us!

Well, it seems our sweet lil boo is no longer content to just throw himself on the floor. He has now taken to hitting people.

It started yesterday at playgroup. A little boy was trying to get into the same toy bucket that Boo was, and so Boo (probably more appropriate to call him Boo-cephus for this one) just rared back and hit him!!! I was mortified!! I quickly grabbed his arms and looked him straight in the face and said, "NO!! We do NOT hit. You need to say you're sorry." And then he rolled on the floor.

Today, it happened again. Except this time his target was ME! We were at a restaurant meeting some friends for lunch (luckily they hadn't arrived yet) and I was carrying him with me to get our food and he didn't want to go with me...so he hit me in the face!! Again, I put his arms down and said, "No hitting." As soon as I let his arms go...he did it again...and again!! I was SOOOO mad and embarrassed! We ate and left as quickly as possible. I didn't know what to do. I did have him say "sorry" but that didn't really stop him. I couldn't really spank him, b/c I just said, "we don't hit" and I'd really rather not go down that road unless absolutely necessary.

I know he's frustrated because he can't tell me what he wants. But, still! We're not having this!
At home, I would have immediately put him in timeout. But, what do you do at a restaurant??
Any advice?

3 comments:

B-Mama said...

Oh S, I feel your pain! There is just nothing like public embarrassment thanks to your child. We have been there time and time again... even today.

Just know that Boo is NOT alone, he's NOT unusual, and you are NOT a bad mother for feeling embarrassed by his behavior. You just need to develop a plan for how to deal with these situations in public. I think timeouts are totally doable--you can do them in the car, in a corner, another room, etc. I think most important is removing him from the situation and showing him that life DOESN'T go on when he's naughty.

It also helps me to remember that my boys did not come out with any inkling of how to handle themselves in situations (though some kids do seem to have greater sensitivity.) It is my job as their mom (and GG's as their dad) to teach them what is and is not acceptable.

Good luck! You are a wonderful mom and he is still a very sweet boy. Welcome to boyhood Boo!! :)

Unknown said...

I agree with B-Mama, take him out of the situation in public. Kris and I would take Kyle out of the resturant until he calmed down. If you can't leave try the bathroom.

I think a lot of hitting comes from frustration, and once they have more words in their vocabulary it seems to go away.

Good luck.

Carolina Girl said...

B, you're right. We need a plan! I was totally caught off guard by this new development.

Thanks for your advice ladies! E, I agree with you too that a lot of it comes from him not being able to say what he wants. You're probably right that it will subside some when he learns more words.